Where to Go for Health Problems

  • November 11, 2015
  • Blog

We all like being happy and healthy, but sometimes things go wrong with our bodies. We can feel sick or tired, we can get cuts, and be in pain. When problems like this happen, where is the best place to go for help?


There are many places you can go for care. There are community health centers, walk-in clinics, and emergency rooms. But these places deal with different problems.

  • Community Health Center: For preventive care, common illnesses or minor injuries – Primary Care Providers can help.
  • Medical Walk-In Clinic: For serious but non-life threatening problems – you can quickly get care from a provider at your local walk-in clinic.
  • Emergency Room: For very serious illnesses or injuries – quickly find a hospital emergency room.

When to See a Primary Care Provider

Your Community Health Center’s primary care provider, or PCP, is where you should go for most of your routine medical issues and regular check-ups. These medical providers can give vaccines, refill prescriptions, perform regular physicals, and manage any ongoing illnesses. Here are some examples of conditions to see your PCP about:

  • Allergies
  • Cold and cough
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness
  • Earache
  • Insect or minor animal bite
  • Minor burns or cuts
  • Minor head injuries (didn’t lose consciousness)
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Rash
  • Skin infections, small abscess, or boil
  • Sprains or strains
  • Stitches
  • Urinary infections


At your Community Health Center in Snohomish County, our providers can help you with the care for any of these problems.

When to Visit a Medical Walk-In Clinic:

You should visit a Walk-In Clinic when you or a loved one is experiencing serious but non-life threatening medical issues, or if you cannot reach your primary care provider. Some examples of non-life threatening medical issues include:

  • Allergic reaction (mild)
  • Asthma
  • Cold and cough
  • Dehydration (mild)
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness
  • Earache or ear infection
  • Fever
  • Headache or migraine
  • Insect or minor animal bite
  • Minor burns or cuts
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Rash
  • Sore throat
  • Sprains or strains
  • Stitches
  • Stomach pain (mild)
  • Urinary infection


At the Community Health Center in Snohomish County, we also provide care for walk-in patients that need immediate attention to minor injuries or problems.

When to Go to the Emergency Room or Hospital:

Sadly, sometimes we can have very serious injuries or problems that need professional attention right away. In situations like these, the emergency room is the place to go. The types of problems that require a hospital visit are:

  • Assault
  • Broken bones and cast problems
  • Chest pain or trouble breathing
  • Coughing up or vomiting blood
  • Dehydration (severe or mild)
  • Fainting
  • Head injury
  • Poisoning or overdose
  • Seizure
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Severe asthma attack
  • Severe burn and cuts
  • Severe headache
  • severe head injury or body trauma
  • Sudden confusion, weakness, dizziness, numbness, difficulty speaking
  • Suicidal or homicidal behavior or thoughts
  • Swallowed object

If you are seriously injured or are having problems with one of the issues above, it is important that get help immediately; in some cases you will need to call 9-1-1 for help.

Community Health Center in Snohomish County

For regular medical and dental care, or for more immediate medical needs, visit your Community Health Center in Snohomish County. Our doctors can provide you with the care and health services that you need recover from injuries and return to being happy and healthy. Call us today at (425)-789-3700 if you have questions or would like to set up an appointment.